Is Your Home Harboring Mold?

If you see mold in your home, chances are it is not the only mold growing in your residence. Mold that you cannot see can be worse than the part that you see. What causes mold? Anytime mold spores come into contact with moisture they will multiply. Mold is everywhere on the planet, but it flourishes when it has a food source. This can include the paper on drywall, cardboard, and wood. When a home has been flooded or had a major leak, this can cause mold to begin to grow.

Is Mold Dangerous?

It is important to get rid of mold for a number of reasons. It can begin to grow in just 24 hours with the proper conditions. Since it is so fast-growing, it does not take long for it to take over an entire house. Mold produces mycotoxins that are hazardous to humans and animals. Mycotoxins cause serious health problems and can cause death. There have been instances when homes were so contaminated with mycotoxins that they had to be destroyed.

When mycotoxins are breathed in they can cause lung damage and respiratory problems. They can also cause damage to internal organs as well as mental problems. The elderly, small children, and people with a weak immune system are more susceptible to problems from mycotoxins. This is why it is crucial to get rid of mold in homes as quickly as possible. An example of a company offering mold remediation in Houston is United Water Restoration Group.

 

Bleach is Not a Solution

Most people think bleach will kill mold in their homes, and it will kill surface mold. However, mold is generally not just found on surfaces. It can be inside walls, under wall paper, and even under carpet padding. When trying to rid surfaces of mold using bleach, the water from the solution can seep into porous materials causing more moisture and additional mold growth.

Indoor mold problems in particular should be taken very seriously. To be on the safe side, there are inspections that can be performed to check for the presence of mold in your home.